Oreo Caramel Ice Cream Cake

It was just before Pi day and I was talking to my mom. She said she would like me to try making apple turnovers the next time I see her. Some how that jumped to Pi day being around the corner. I figured what better way to celebrate Pi day than to eat cake.

Ingredients

  1. At least 3 cups Oreo cookie crumbs
  2. 4 cups of milk
  3. 2 cups of cream
  4. 1 cup of granulated sugar
  5. 2 pinches of salt
  6. A container of caramel sauce
  7. At least one package of Oreos
  8. 10 tbs of grape seed oil or melted butter
Makes 1 nine inch in diameter Oreo caramel ice cream cake

Tips

  1. I used my spring form pan for making the cake. That way it helps provide structure for shape and I can easily remove the cake later.
  2. I have a 1.4 L ice cream maker that I bought from Costco here. If you do not have an ice cream maker, you can always buy the ice cream. You just will not need to worry about any of the dairy ingredients and granulated sugar.

Instructions

  1. The ice cream maker is nice because it also comes with recipes for different ice creams. Here I used the simple vanilla ice cream recipe, but I removed the vanilla extract and used less granulated sugar (only 1/2 cup instead of 3/4 cups per batch). Due to the size of the ice cream maker I have to make two batches of ice cream for the cake. Each batch consists of mixing 2 cups of cream, 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, and a pinch of salt. After mixing the ingredients allow to cool in fridge for a couple hours. Then place the mixture in the ice cream maker and wait about 20 minutes. I also added some caramel sauce and Oreo cookie crumbs to add more of an Oreo flavour to the ice cream. Be careful as adding to much caramel will make it take longer to become ice cream.



  2. Since I have to make the ice cream in two batches 24 hours apart, when making the second batch I pull the first out of the freezer to soften, and begin making the Oreo ice cream cake. Start by taking a bowl and mixing 3 cups of Oreo cookie crumbs and grape seed oil or butter. If you want a harder crust I would use butter, but if you want something a bit healthier and softer to cut with a fork then try the grape seed oil. After mixing, place in a spring form pan (I like to cover the base of the spring form pan with plastic wrap) and press down with your hands to get a smooth compressed crust.


  3. Place a good layer of caramel sauce on the crust.
  4. Using a large Ziploc bag and a rolling pin crush the Oreos for the top layer. I left the pieces a bit bigger this time, because the first time I ate a lot of the cookies prior to making the cake and people questioned how many Oreos were actually in it.


  5. The ice cream should nearly be done. Spread the ice cream from the second batch into the spring form pan as it will be the softer of the two batches. I then placed the spring form pan in the freezer and had to wait about 10 minutes or so for the first batch to soften a bit more.

  6. Now that all the ice cream is in the spring form pan, you can now build the top layer. Begin by placing a second layer of caramel sauce on top of the ice cream.
  7. Place the crushed Oreos on top of the caramel sauce. You may need to use some more Oreo cookie crumbs as filler.
  8. If you want, while it is soft place some Oreos on top of the cake as decoration. Place it back into the freezer for at least a few hours to freeze before transporting. I would recommend allowing it to stay in the freezer over night before eating.
  9. Enjoy :) I would say 10 minutes should be more than enough for it soften for you to be able to begin cutting. As well, make sure to place paper towels underneath the pan as it can get a bit messy.

Comments

Popular Posts